Stephen Jones, the COO of the Dallas Cowboys, says this is the NFL’s most unique cut-down time he’s ever seen, and for good reason: Dallas didn’t have enough time to rate its guys, let alone the talents of the 31 other Cowboys.
Dallas will be very much focused on the known crowds here, as Saturday’s deadline approaches at 3 p.m. to cut the roster to 53.
Who gets jobs? Who will be “shaved”? CowboysSI.com will provide our NFL Cowboys cutdown tracker that reports on all moves around the clock… and perhaps also about some rumours about trains.
Keep it here. Click here. And stay in touch …
THURSDAY 3:5p – NO JOKE, HA HA IS OUT … That really shouldn’t be shocking, as ESPN speculated earlier this week, but Ha Ha Clinton-Dix has evolved from a starting safety to a backup security to off-the-job security in a three-week span.
ESPN reported Thursday that Clinton-Dix has been released. A humorous aspect of this: National media reports that Clinton-Dix is a better player than the still available Earl Thomas.
But he is not. Obviously he is not.
Tuesday, 5:30 p.m. – A wave of O-linemen from … In addition to Dallas, which replaces offensive lineman Adam Redmond, the Cowboys have released a trio of other O-linemen: Pace Murphy, Mitch Hyatt (waived/injured) and Wyatt Miller (waived/injured). Also eliminated is tight end Charlie Taumoepeau.
And we don’t think Dallas is done with the O-line backups. The Cowboys reserves on the tackle field haven’t had good camps. Certainly, for example, Cam Erving makes the 53rd But then… Maybe a search of the reserves of other teams to see if the NFL can give a better answer.
TUESDAY 1215pm – FIRST CUTS Several reports show the Cowboys are making a trio of cuts, all on the offensive side of the ball: receiver Devin Smith, offensive lineman Adam Redmond and QB Clayton Thorson – none of them made it into our team when we made our early morning 53-man projection.
READ MORE: Cowboy cut time; 53-man squad projection
TUESDAY 7 am IN the morning – IS HA HA HA ON THE ROSTER BUBBLE? ESPN’s Todd Archer says “no” … but still hints at the possibility, writing, “I don’t think Ha Ha Ha Clinton-Dix is in the bubble, but his guarantee was 2.25 million dollars,” and then notes that Dallas has cut veterans at this point before.
That much is true: Mike McCarthy brought an old Packers guy to start with safety. Clinton-Dix is about to be overtaken by journeyman Darian Thompson.
And the Dallas player list – loaded in so many places – has a spot that stands out like a sore thumb. The mere mention of Clinton-Dix, as well as a possibility that is even close to question, speaks volumes about how badly this idea has worked so far.
By the way: Yes, we keep beating the drum for an Earl Thomas exploration. We know everything about the red flags; we have written about it in detail. But Dallas just can’t justify going deep into a season and believing that the guys are playing alongside Xavier Woods as players in Thomas’ league.
HOW MANY RBs?: We have made the argument that two could be enough (Ezekiel Elliott and Tony Pollard) because the other tailbacks are all “decent” and at the same level … and therefore one of them will probably be available later, on the street if necessary.
The same goes for the fullback. I bet back-tight end Blake Bell is a better blocking fullback than anyone else on this list. Last year, the fullback played seven snaps per game – barely enough to earn a full spot on the roster, say.
RELATED: We bet the coaching staff loves rookie QB Ben DiNucci too much to keep him in any role … The other weakness of the coaching staff beyond security? Swing tackle … With Ventell Bryant injured, we wonder if Dallas will keep only five receivers now? … McCarthy said a long time ago that he wanted 10 D-linemen – six rushers and four tackles. Since Randy Gregory is still in limbo, it looks exactly the same for us.